CBD oil is being more and more researched to discover additional benefits that it can have on someone’s health. Additionally, pet owners and vets are trying to find out whether this product can help with certain conditions in pets.
If you have a pet, the chances are that they get sick as well. Your immediate thought is taking them to a veterinary clinic. However, sometimes you wonder if, apart from the medicine prescribed by the doctor, CBD oil can be used as well. Let’s find out!
What is CBD?
CBD is a compound found in marijuana. Although this probably made you gasp, the first thing you should know is that CBD is not psychoactive. THC is the compound responsible for giving the “highness” feeling, so you shouldn’t worry about CBD.
CBD oil has been well-researched, and its many benefits on health have been discovered. It’s speculated that it can be used as a treatment for cancer, as it kills cancer cells. Other issues CBD can help with are:
What are the pros of giving dogs CBD oil?
Before giving CBD oil to your dogs, it’s essential to know CBD’s effects in dogs first. It can have good effects as well as bad ones, depending on various things. Let’s start with the pros.
- It can be used as a pain relief: It’s known that certain compounds in CBD can help relieve pain. It can work on dogs as well. If they are suffering from muscle spasms, chronic pain, and heart murmurs, CBD can help. So, after taking CBD oil, they can feel much better and will want to play again.
- It can lower anxiety: Anxiety is a thing for dogs as well, not only for humans. When your quadruped friend feels anxious, it’s important to help it through this phase. If untreated, they can become more susceptible to disease and lose appetite. CBD is known to decrease depression and anxiety.
- It can boost appetite: If you miss the days of your dog asking for food, then CBD can help. Appetite loss is alarming, and you may want to help them as soon as possible. Some CBD oil can do its job, and your dog will empty the bowl again.
What are the cons of giving dogs CBD oil?
CBD oil has its cons as well. For instance:
- Not all vets recommend it: It’s usually unclear to vets whether CBD oil is good or not. Most of the times, they advise against it.
- CBD is still studied: Researchers are still trying to find out if CBD is good for dogs as well. It is used by humans, but it’s not sure what the effects are on dogs. Research is usually done on rodents, not on dogs and humans. Therefore, it can have different effects.
CBD oil keeps increasing in popularity because of its many medical advantages. It could be used for dogs too, but it’s better to know its pros and cons before taking action.