CBD (cannabinoids), which came from the hemp plant, has been a trend over the years. Unlike THC, a compound found in hemp plants, too, CBD doesn’t have the psychoactive effect that makes the user high. Instead, CBD products have been known as an herbal alternative for pharmaceutical medicines. Another thing that makes CBD more popular is that you can also use it for your pets. Since you consider your pets as one of your loved ones, you wouldn’t risk their health because of what’s trending, right? That’s why you need to know this critical information on whether CBD products are good for your pets:
The first thing you may need to know is the CBD’s safety towards your pets. As shown by the unexpected benefits your pets get from these products, we can safely say that CBD is indeed safe. But, before knowing its benefits, it’s better to know that some pets may show some side effects upon consuming CBD products. It’s important to note that you shouldn’t panic when you see these side effects on your pets as these are not lethal nor harmful:
- Drowsiness – Since CBD products make your dogs relax and calm, it can cause them to be drowsy, too, especially when the dosage is high.
- Dry Mouth – For humans, CBD products can cause dryness of the mouth. This is also the same for your pets; expect them to be thirsty now and then.
- Decreased Blood Pressure – Although this side effect is for humans, it’s better to keep your pets in a safe area; they may also experience lightheadedness or dizziness.
- Lowered Metabolism – One of the most potential side effects of CBD is the inhibition of the production of liver enzymes. Thus, it can affect some drug metabolisms that your pets may be taking.
The best remedy for this is to consult your pet’s vet about whether the CBD products can affect your pet’s medication.
Now that you’re aware of the possible side effects your pets may show when taking CBD products, gear up for the benefits you’ll read. Since most pets are mammals, CBD interacts with their body similarly to how it does with the human’s endocannabinoid systems (ECS). The ECS is responsible for the immunity, sleep, and memory response for all mammals. To make the ECS work, its receptors, known as CB1 and CB2, interacts with the brain’s naturally produced cannabinoids. Most importantly, these receptors can work with CBD from the hemp plants.
As a result of their interaction, here’s a list of the benefits your pets will receive:
- One of the best health benefits your pets can get is CBD’s supplemental effect. Just like any other vitamins, regular intake of CBD can promote your pet’s well being and overall health.
- Although tests from rats showed that CBD products could prevent colon cancers and other tumors, since rats and other pets have similar ECS, it can also work with your pets.
- If you want to stimulate your pet’s appetite, then CBD products can do the work. Aside from that, it’s also anti-emetic, which lessens your pet’s vomiting and nausea.
- Anxiety and depression don’t only happen with people. Your pet also experiences both anxiety and depression, especially when they’re exposed to loud noises and the like. Thankfully, CBD helps with such conditions.
- More importantly. CBD is famous for its anti-inflammatory properties. Since osteoarthritis is common to dogs and other pets, CBD can ease such pain.
Right CBD Products
As shown, there are a lot of health benefits CBD products can give to your pets. Due to its popularity, there’s also an influx of CBD products that can confuse you. Even if it’s the most expensive CBD product, you must not rely on its price only. There are things you must consider before buying one for your pet.
Here’s a list:
- The product must be 100% free of THC, heavy metals, fungicides, pesticides, and solvents. These compounds may risk your pet’s health. Thus, you should choose organic CBD products.
- Since there are hundreds of CBD companies retailing CBD products, choose the ones that are business-registered. It’s best if they have permits to sell or manufacture CBD products as it may mean they follow the regulations on CBD extraction.
- You should also check the purity and quality of the CBD product. The higher the purity and quality mean it can become more effective. With such, you can check the amount of CBD from the manufacturer.
- CBD treats for your pets contains a smaller amount of CBD, so it’s great for health maintenance. But, if you’ll use CBD as an alternative medication, it’s best if you use CBD tincture or oil. These products contain higher amounts of CBD. Also, you can control the dose you’re administering to your pets with these CBD products.
These are the things you should know before giving CBD products to your pets. From understanding the possible side effects to its benefits, you’re now free of doubts. As mentioned, it’s only normal to show some side effects as long as it’s not critical, especially when you’re giving the right dose to your pet. With its benefits, CBD can act as your pet’s supplements or medicine. To get the most out of the CBD product, it’s best to know which are best for your pets.