In recent years, the use and popularity of Cannabidiol (CBD) products among people to remedy numerous health issues have risen steeply. In the same way, its use on pets has also shot up. Pet owners are opting to use these products for various health issues affecting pets. There are various types of CBD products for pets and especially cats. These include edibles, such as cat CBD treats.
CBD treats for cats are made with the idea that they can help cats as much as they help people. While you may be considering using CBD treats for your cats, there’s the question of how safe these treats are. Or in what situations you’ll need to give these treats.
What Is CBD?
Short for cannabidiol, it’s one of the larger ingredients in the cannabis plant. It’s present in all cannabis plants, but it’s mainly derived from the hemp plant. It has a relatively lower percentage of the other main cannabis plant component tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
For the hemp plant to be used legally, it shouldn’t contain more than 0.3% of THC otherwise; it’ll be considered to be an illegal substance or narcotic. THC produces a psychoactive effect when consumed while CBD doesn’t.
What You Need To Know About CBD Cat Treats
CBD cat treats are there owing to the idea that if CBD products can help humans, then they can help cats too. And perhaps they can. Research indicates that CBD works by binding on to the neurotransmitters and receptors in mammals’ bodies through the endocannabinoid system.
Therefore, cats may also experience the same relief as humans do when they consume CBD. However, this information is purely based on anecdotal evidence. Also, you should keep in mind that cats metabolize foods differently from other pets such as dogs.
What CBD Does For Cats
It’s only logical that you want to take proper care of your cat, and giving them the most effective and safe treatment is your priority. CBD has been said to contain anti-inflammatory properties that may help with a variety of ailments. Some of those benefits include helping with pain, anxiety, and depression.
Although studies are still ongoing on the effectiveness of CBD on these health issues, both in humans and pets, the amount of anecdotal evidence is overwhelming.
So, Is CBD Safe For Cats?
Information contained in various reports by veterinarians seems to indicate that CBD itself is safe for cats. However, some pet owners are said to have reported side effects such as drowsiness and upset tummies. This happened especially to the cats given CBD treats in high doses. The effects faded when the dosage was lowered.
It’s advisable to consult your cat’s veterinarian before you start giving it the treats. This will help you make an informed decision about the CBD treats options or dosage for your cat.
Should You Be Cautious?
You should be cautious when dealing with CBD treats for the cat because there’s little or no oversight in the product market. This lack of oversight can result in a surge and availability of low-quality products. In one study, results from some of the tested CBD products showed many contain little or no CBD while their labels indicate a different thing.
Also, if not appropriately extracted, CBD can get contaminated with harmful toxins. Hemp plants are naturally bio accumulators, and how they are grown and extracted plays a significant role in their quality.
Finding Safe CBD Treats For Your Cat
If you choose to get CBD treats for your cat, you can use the ways below to keep you from endangering your pet by unknowingly giving them low-quality CBD products.
- Ensure that the products have been certified and sealed by the National Animal Supplements Council (NASC) or U.S. Hemp Authority. Products certified by either of the two bodies meet acceptable quality and standards. This also means the product has passed a third-party laboratory test and has been proven to be suitable for use.
- Note to only use CBD treats made specifically for cats and pay attention to the ingredients to ensure the treats are completely safe for your cat.
- Always talk to your cat’s veterinarian for advice before you can start using CBD treats. Most veterinarians have encountered the issue and are best placed to advise you on the most suitable treats for a particular condition and the dosages.
If you’ve already had the talk with your vet and cleared your cat to use CBD treats, go ahead and get your cat some treats. Ensure to use the correct dose and monitor the reaction it has on your cat.
If possible, start with a very low dose and increase gradually without ever going above the recommended dose. This can help you notice any abnormal changes or strange behavior that your cat may exhibit, in which case, you may stop the treats.
- 5 Situations When You Encourage Your Dog to Behave Badly - October 1, 2022
- Blessing of the Pets and Remembrance Ceremony Returns to Dulaney Valley Memorial Gardens, Saturday, October 22, 2022 - September 17, 2022
- 4 Crucial Considerations When Thinking of Getting a New Family Pet - September 7, 2022