Reisterstown, MD – A Veteran’s Day reminder that Pets for Patriots, a program at Baltimore Humane Society to help ease the transition of veterans and service members is also helping to end animal homelessness.
Jasmine, Katie, Merlin, Minnie, and Comanche. Once homeless shelter pets, they are now sources of unconditional love and friendship to local servicemen and their families. A special program at Baltimore Humane Society called Pets for Patriots is how they found each other. The program is dedicated to serving two often overlooked populations needing support when establishing new lives — our country’s loyal service men and women and last-chance shelter pets. Pet adoption is free for the military adopter and the pet receives discounted veterinary care for life.
Pets for Patriots’ mission is to ease the stress of military transitions following deployment return, active to inactive duty, and retirement by the adoption of adult or special needs shelter pets and large dogs. Working with PFP, Baltimore Humane Society provides the most overlooked homeless dogs and cats a second chance at a happy life while giving local veterans, active duty military, and their families the gift of unconditional friendship and love. The end goal — transform and enrich the lives of our service men and women while at the same time helping save at-risk shelter pets and end animal homelessness in the U.S.
“It is a privilege and an honor to be a part of Pets for Patriots. Our service members deserve all the support we can give them. Matching them up with homeless pets who also need support and love makes this a wonderfully positive program for all involved,” says Wendy Goldband, Baltimore Humane Society’s Director of Marketing & Public Relations.
Pets for Patriots and Baltimore Humane Society have also partnered with area vets like Perry Hall Animal Hospital, Paradise Animal Hospital, Jarrettsville Veterinary Center, Bay Country Veterinary Hospital, and Essex Middle River Veterinary Hospital. Together they are determined to make the joys of pet ownership achievable and affordable by offering:
- Free pet adoptions at Baltimore Humane Society to all military (once approved by Pets for Patriots)
- 10% discount at the Baltimore Humane Society low cost Spay, Neuter, & Vaccine Clinic
- Veterinary discounts from 10 to 20 percent for the life of the adopted pet to help service members afford their pets’ medical care
- $150 gift card upon proof of eligible adoption with Pets for Patriots to help with food and other essentials
- Free membership to Pets for Patriots for all service members. Individuals are welcome to take advantage of the Pets for Patriots program from all United States armed forces and at any stage of their careers.
Individuals must first apply through Pets for Patriots website, petsforpatriots.org, and provide proof of their military service or honorable discharge. Approval typically takes one to two business days, after which they can visit Baltimore Humane Society for assistance in choosing their new best friend.
- 6 Ways to Groom a Golden Retriever - December 29, 2022
- What does CBD Oil do for Dogs? - December 22, 2022
- When Dogs Die, Do Other Dogs Know? - December 17, 2022